Welcome to our latest installment of Next to My Bed, a feature on Hill House Home's 40 Winks Blog that takes an up close and personal look at what some of our friends keep next to their bed.
Kristina Rodulfo is the epitome of what it means to be a successful editor today. As the Beauty Director of Women's Health, she uses her platform to give air to the latest beauty trends (she always has the tea on what's new and next) as well as important social issues she holds close to her heart. Oh, and in case you're looking for some A+ Instagram content? Follow Kristina here for her epic #lipsticklipsyncs.
What side of the bed do you sleep on?
The left. It's so funny, even when I'm in a hotel room with a giant, king-sized bed I still only sleep on one side.
What can you not sleep without?
Washing my makeup off. I will never go to sleep with any mascara, liner, or lipstick left lingering. I've dealt with acne since I was 14, so I'm serious about keeping breakouts a thing of the past. No exceptions!
What is currently next to your bed?
A small white night stand. On my night stand, I like to keep whatever book I'm reading, my gratitude journal (there's a page to fill out in the morning, and a page at night so it's low-commitment but really centering), some of my daily jewelry pieces in a cute dish from a former boss, and a mix of beauty products in rotation—both new discoveries like and tried and true favorites.
The Joanna Czech facial roller is majorly helpful for TMJ and simply feels amazing cold on my skin first thing in the morning. The Laneige Lip Mask is, hands down, the best lip balm I've ever tried and saves my lips no matter what level of chapped they are. I usually have various lotions around too, right now it's a body lotion from Necessaire, hand lotion from Chanel, and a face lotion from Augustinus Bader.
What is the strangest thing that's next to your bed?
Probably the ZIIP! It's an at-home microcurrent device that uses electrical current to lift, de-puff, prevent fine lines and more. It pairs with an app with all these different tutorials based on what you're targeting. I've definitely noticed a difference since doing just 5-10 minutes with it a night.
What would you not be able to sleep without being next to your bed?
I'm sorry to admit it...but my cellphone. I'm trying to be better about moving it to a different room and getting an actual alarm clock so I won't need to rely on it or be tempted to look at it first thing in the AM. But, I'm not doing so great. Maybe I'll try moving it across the room. Baby steps!
What is your nighttime routine in 5 steps or less:
5 steps or less only?
- Brush my teeth and wash my face. I use a SkinCeuticals Gentle Cleanser. If it's a heavy makeup day, a swipe of Bioderma all over to remove that top layer of product.
- Apply prescription topicals for acne, then the Augustinus Bader Rich Cream and Laneige lip mask. Here's where I use the ZIIP too.
- Talk on the phone with a loved one (usually my boyfriend or my mom, but can be a friend I haven't seen in a while)
- Write in the evening page of my gratitude journal, which prompts me to reflect on my day, my feelings, how I kept on track with an intention set in the morning, etc.
- Do a last sweep on my phone to see what's on my schedule the next day, then cuddling up with my Kindle and reading before going to bed at a reasonable time (hopefully!).